3B2 Interest Group (Was Re: FAQ about the AT&T UNIX PC)

Pat Calhoun pcalhoun at attcan.UUCP
Sat Oct 13 00:28:58 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct5.033149.28901 at actrix.co.nz>, clear at actrix.co.nz (Charlie Lear) writes:

> Re the news problem, this is what happens: (initial stuff deleted)
> 7.0 (kaukau.comp.vuw.ac.nz) (ttyp2)^M^J^M^M^J^Mlogin:got it
> sendthem (bearcave^M)
> expect: (word:)
>  ^Jlogin: bearcave^JPassword:got it
> sendthem (pwd^M)
> Login Successful: System=vuwcomp
> wmesg 'U'g
> Proto started g
> wmesg 'H'
> Remote Requested: vuwcomp!D.vuwcof9d189f --> bearcav!D.vuwcof9d189f
> (news)
> wmesg 'S'Y
>
> Here is where it hangs. Just sits there. Bummer. Then it eventually
> fails with:
> send OO 0,Conversation Complete: Status FAILED

O.K., first of all you'll have to check what really happened when the
uucp failed. There are a number of possibilities, could be permissions,
configuration of your modems, etc.

So, to begin, type uulog <system name> at both systems. This will give you
a log of all activity (depending on config, they usually get deleted at
midnight, so you might want to try the uucp before doing this - then wait
a bit for the log files to get updated).

I have a strong feeling that the last line will look something like
(Expected 'S' Got ''). This is a flow control problem. check your modems
configuration to make sure the flow control is disabled (as you can imagine,
it's highly possible that binary files contain DC1-DC3's).

I would then check the permissions.

Try the above and if it still doesn't work, send me an e-mail.

    "The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect the views of
     the author, the cleaning staff, or the President of the United States."

       _^_ |||		  Pat "King of the Trenches" Calhoun
      <o o> |		  Technical Support Group, AT&T Canada Inc.
      /\/\/\/\            attmail!pcalhoun