Help with 3B2/300

Carlo Milono cmilono at netcom.COM
Fri Feb 15 13:17:51 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb10.232259.8141 at opusc.csd.scarolina.edu> sharp at snuffleupagus.csd.scarolina.edu (Harry Sharp) writes:
>I have a most perplexing problem that I hope someone out there can help
>me solve:
>
>I am in possession of a 3B2/300  [ stuff deleted ]
>fine working order *except* for the fact that I can't get in.
>I have tried pressing the Reset button to force a boot from the floppy, but
>this does not get the desired response.  All i get is a system error message
>and a rerun of the diagnostics.
>
>Is there a way in to a system such as this?

There was a thread about what I believe is your problem just last week...
here is a snippet of the resolution:

When you get the 'system error message', you are in firmware mode.  You
would then type a password to enter the firmware routines; the default
password is 'mcp' (I remember something about speed/parity being important).
You must have the first floppy of the core package with no write-protection
as you will be running UNIX from the floppy and you need the swap space.
After you enter 'mcp' (and I hope you have a Floppy Key if this doesn't work)
you will be prompted for a boot program...enter UNIX.  You will then answer
the question about the drive...answer  0 for the first floppy, and then when
prompted for install/restore/upgrade, enter the words "magic mode".

Then the jist is that you will mount the Hard Drive *on* the floppy!  This
is done with either the /etc/mount command or 'fsys'.  Once mounted, you
will need to remember absolute paths to get to the 'vi' or 'ed' and you
can now edit the /etc/passwd file (since you are a floppy root)

If you want more info...browse through earlier postings in this group.