3B1/7300 BOF at USENIX conference in Dallas

David H. Brierley dave at galaxia.Newport.RI.US
Mon Jan 14 12:44:34 AEST 1991

The 3B1/7300 Birds Of a Feather session at the USENIX conference in Dallas
has been officially confirmed for Thursday January 24th at 8:00 pm.  The
exact location of the BOF is not known yet, although it will be somewhere
within the Grand Kempinski hotel.  Check the BOF board in the conference
registration area for the room assignment.  I forgot to specify how long I
expected the BOF to last so I'm not sure how long the room is available to
us.  In the past, most BOFs have been scheduled for 2 hours so I would
assume that the same holds true for this one but I will check on it when I
arrive at the conference.

As of this writing (Sunday 1/13 at 8pm) I have not had any solid offers of
a machine that we can use for a software exchange.  If there is anyone in
or around Dallas that is willing to bring in a machine, or if you know of
someone or some organization that can be convinced to lend us a machine,
please let me know right away.  Without a machine it will be a little
difficult to have a software exchange.  If we do get a machine then not only
can we have a software exchange but we can use the machine during the BOF
and poke around inside of it.

I have gotten a few offers from people who are willing to talk at the BOF
but I would like to get more.  If I can get enough people who are willing
to present a short talk then nobody would have to talk for more than five
or ten minutes (unless you want to talk for longer).  Please remember that
you don't have to be the worlds greatest expert or be working on the worlds
most exciting project in order for other people to want to hear what you
have to say.  From past experience, the group will consist of everything
from experts who might be able to lend some insight into the project you are
working on all the way down to total novices who are looking for all the
help you are willing to give and even who a few people who don't even own
a 3B1 but are interested in hearing about it.  Come on people, I have been
told that I can be talkative but I don't relish the idea of sitting up there
by myself for two hours!

If we do not have a software exchange, or even if we do, I am willing to
collect donations of software and make them available for anonymous uucp
both on my machine and on osu-cis (hopefully).  I am also willing to make
copies of the disks for people, provided they pay for postage.  Any source
programs that people bring in will be used to prime the queue for the
about-to-be-created comp.sources.3b1 unless you tell me otherwise when you
give it to me.
--
David H. Brierley
Home: dave at galaxia.Newport.RI.US    Work: dhb at quahog.ssd.ray.com