3b1 BOF in Dallas?

Augustine Cano afc at shibaya.lonestar.org
Tue Jan 1 03:46:40 AEST 1991

In article <1103 at galaxia.Newport.RI.US> dave at galaxia.Newport.RI.US (David H. Brierley) writes:
>>Is anyone organizing a unix-pc BOF for the winter Usenix in
>>Dallas?
>
>I organized the original 3B1 BOF a few years back (in San Diego??) and I
>am willing to set one up for Dallas.  Lenny has indicated to me in private
>mail that he will probably not be attending the conference, although maybe
>we can coax him to drop by for the BOF.  What I need from all of you is a

Come on Lenny!  You're so close to Dallas now that there's no excuse! :-)

>little information to help get things rolling.  If you see this message by
>Thursday or Friday, please respond quickly with answers to the following
>questions.

>3. What topics would you like to see presentation about?

In no particular order:

o The disk system (with the HC11) that Thad talked about a while ago.
o On board implementations of the ICUS upgrade.
o Any information on taking apart/re-implementing the gd driver (I'm working
  on this).
o The SCSI interface project.
o The mondo combo board.
o The status of all that locked software that exists but we can't get our
  hands on.
o Installation demo of the JBM HD2 kit (and delivery of mine if possible!)
o Conversion demo of a 0K RAM to fully populated.  As an aside to this, could
  anybody with access to the required glue chips bring a reasonable
  quantity if there is interest?  I know I would want one of each to
  upgrade one board.
o Software demos of whatever is available that is not trivial to install or
  is huge (I'd be interested in seeing how TeX/Metafont works with the 3b1
  previewer and 3b1 printers, also how about a spice demo?)

>setting up a software exchange.  To do this we need two things:  first we

I definitely would like this.  Can somebody bring a binary of gcc 1.38, that
has just been released?

I would also be interested in application spreadsheets for sc or smart,
database definitions or any other application written for the smart system,
and voice board applications.

>need people who will bring in software to be exchanged and second we need
>to secure the use of a machine to do it on.  I purposely ordered these
>items the way I did because I have seen a software exchange attempted
>twice in the past, the first time I brought in some software and the
>second time Lenny brought in some software.  Unless more people are
>willing to bring in software then it doesn't really work.  On the other

What software do you have in mind?  Anything that is available on the net
but is particularly big would seem to ba a good candidate.

Can someone with connections get proper authorizations to release some
of the previously unreleased stuff?

>hand, this is a cheap way to distribute a lot of software to a lot of
>people so maybe I will do it anyway if we can find a machine.  If there is
>any particular software that you want (and that I can legally give you),
>let me know and if I dont already have it I will attempt to locate it.  I
>will post a list of what I've got as soon as I get a chance to inventory
>it.  Remember to bring lots of blank disks!

I'll be there with lots of them!

Comments/additions, anyone?

Augustine Cano		INTERNET: afc at shibaya.lonestar.org
			UUCP:     ...!{ernest,egsner}!shibaya!afc