Updates on various projects

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Tue Jan 22 21:31:53 AEST 1991

Update on monitor project:

the paper-white monitor WORKS!  No more ugly green.  I'll be posting a complete
report on this project shortly after resolving a few "details", such as:

	where does the speaker become relocated
	how to adjust video width, height, misc. "trim" adjustments, etc.
	cabling, etc

In essense this means we're no longer stuck with the stock monitor.  Still
have some experimenting since the "intensity" signal isn't connected to
anything.  For reference, IBM/PC-type monochrome Hercules monitors (720x348)
have the following pinnings on the DB-9:

	(1) ground
	(2) ground
	(3) N/C
	(4) N/C
	(5) N/C
	(6) intensity
	(7) video
	(8) horizontal sync
	(9) vertical sync

and the 3B1 provides video, h.sync and v.sync which I just connected straight
across to the DB-9.  Will have to do "something" with the "intensity" and also
check cable lengths ... looks like a few nanoSeconds' worth of video signal is
coming out of the 3B1 too quickly, but I haven't attempted internal adjustmemts
in the monitor yet.  The BTC monitor I picked up also has a flat screen, which
is a plus I didn't expect.  And, BTW, using an external monitor also reduces
the load on the 3B1's power supply.

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com ]