xterm /dev/tty fix

Esmond Pitt ejp at bohra.cpg.oz
Tue Sep 11 14:03:54 AEST 1990

In article <KARL.90Sep10102251 at giza.cis.ohio-state.edu> karl_kleinpaste at cis.ohio-state.edu writes:
> adams at swbatl.sbc.com writes:
>    As to the
>    /dev/tty problem that hoses getpass(3) (and pg(1), nastily) I've been
>    using the "screen" utility (comp.sources - long ago) to get around
>    this problem until our soon to happen upgrade to 5.0.
>
> Upgrading to 5.0 may not help.  When this topic last came up here, the
> enclosed article was posted.  We changed our xterm sources to
> accommodate, and now we have functional /dev/tty in xterm.  Try it,
> you'll like it.  Although this person didn't think the change should
> fix xterm, it does, at least under 4.4c.

This applies to xterms built in the ucb universe. It is possible by
various subterfuges* to build it in the att universe, in which case the
problem is not evident [OS/x 5.0], because the device is opened in the
correct mode under that flavour.

*Details for porting X11R4 to the att universe are available from me on
request. If there's enough interest, I will post here.

--
Esmond Pitt, Computer Power Group
ejp at bohra.cpg.oz