a question for you all...

D. Christopher Dunlap dunlap at bombadl.SGI.COM
Tue Nov 8 04:32:03 AEST 1988

In article <1861 at eos.UUCP>, steve at eos.UUCP (Steve Philipson) writes:
> In article <21191 at sgi.SGI.COM> dunlap at bombadl.SGI.COM (D. Christopher Dunlap) writes:
>
> >What do you all think? Is the 20Amp circuits a real hassle, or would
> >you rather have us spend our time on other things...
>
>   Aggg, Gak!!  Yeah, it's a big deal, but less so now that we've gone
> through the pain and suffering of installing those 20 amp lines.  The
> major problem that we had at installation was that at the time (about
> 1 year ago), SGI did not tell its customers that 20 amp lines were
> needed.  This caused the loss of considerable time and money when our
> machines were to be installed and we had put in 15 amp conditioned power
> lines.  15 amp connectors would make our machines much more easy to move
> though, so that would be a help.
>
>    Is it alright for us to swap the 20 amp connector on the power
> cable to a 15 amp connector?  What are the limitations on machine
> configuration that would require a 20 amp circuit?
> --
>
> 						   Steve
> 					(the certified flying fanatic)
> 					    steve at aurora.arc.nasa.gov

I have already passed feedback to Sales Development to pass to the
SEs and Sales Reps about customers who have been "surprised" by the
20Amp connectors. This is about the fourth time someone has mentioned
this.

The issue with the power is with UL approvals. I don't have a clear
explanation of exactly why the systems need to have a 20Amp circuit,
though. I'll chat with the engineers on the project about it and post
later.

As one person mentioned in a mail to me, many buildings actually have
20Amp service, but only 15Amp outlets. In those cases, it's easy to
just change the outlet. (Unless, of course, you work for the
Government or a university ;-} )

chris

D. Christopher Dunlap

Hardware Product Support