Reading Sun tapes on the 4D/20.

Mark Bradley markb at denali.SGI.COM
Tue May 2 09:59:59 AEST 1989

You probably can not read those Sun tapes on the 4D/20.  You can read
them on the 3000 series, the 4D60, 60T, 70, etc. 60 MB drives.  The Sun
tapes are probably in QIC 11 format, and the older 60 MB tape drives have
the capability of reading QIC 11.  If those tapes are in QIC 24 format,
it is simply a matter of using the swab feature in dd, as we byte swap
and Sun does not (at least by default).

Unfortunately, the newer QIC150's do not have that backward compatibility
feature.  This is the price we pay for capacity, unfortunately.  They
can only go back to the QIC 24 format (what our 60 MB units use) and not
all the way back to QIC 11.  There is no way around it in software, either.

			Good luck.

					markb

--
Mark Bradley				"Faster, faster, until the thrill of
IO Subsystems				 speed overcomes the fear of death."