multiple YP domains?

Brian H. Powell brian at natinst.com
Mon Dec 12 20:57:07 AEST 1988

I'm no YP wizard, so maybe this is easy and somebody can tell me how to do
what I want to do.

We've got a couple of YP domains that handle different data.  Let's call
them domain A and domain B.  Domain A is a plain old YP domain.  For this
exercise, consider that it has a ypmaster and a diskless client (which
boots off of the yp master.)

Domain B has the usual YP information, but it also includes some YP
information for some third party software that only exists on the Suns in
domain B.  The passwd, group, etc., files are very different from domain
A, but with a lot of work I could probably suffer to have them the same
across the entire network.

I want to make one change; I want the diskless client in domain A to have
access to the third-party info found only in domain B.

(1) The ideal state would be for there to be one ypmaster for passwd,
group, etc., and another ypmaster for the third-party info.  Any hope of
doing this, or is this the major shortcoming of YP?

(2) Is it possible for the diskless sun to be in domain B, but boot off a
Sun in domain A?  Do I just have to make bootparams and ethers correct in
domain B?

Thanks for any assistance.

Brian H. Powell					National Instruments Corp.
	brian at natinst.com			12109 Technology Blvd.
	uunet!cs.utexas.edu!natinst!brian	Austin, Texas 78727-6204
	AppleLink:D0351				(512) 250-9119 x832