Poor 800-number response

Mark D. Baushke mdb at silvlis.com
Mon Dec 12 12:54:05 AEST 1988

lecgwy!lyons at rutgers.edu (Marty Lyons):
>  Thought you folks at Sun should know (are you listening?) that because the
>  response of your 800 service number is so horrendous, I am now
>  recommending Apollo workstations....

With all of the horror stories about time to get a response from the 800
number going around, I thought I should relate a success...

I had no problems using the 800 service number this week. I called for
hardware service and the call was returned in less than two hours.

This is the first occasion I have had to call for hardware service in
quite a while.

I do not usually use the 800 service number for software problems (mailing
to hotline at sun.com or sun!hotline with a long detailed explaination of the
problem is usually easier for me than trying to describe it over the
telephone), but I usually have gotten responses within a couple of working
days to e-mail messages.

I suspect that they (sun 800 service) were swamped after release of SunOS
4.0 and are only now starting to recover.

The response time to my hardware problem (a shoebox drive died and was
replaced) gives me hope that maybe they are over the hump.

Mark D. Baushke                 Internet:    mdb%silvlis.com at sun.com
Silvar-Lisco, Inc.              Nameservers: mdb at silvlis.com
1080 Marsh Road                 Usenet:      {pyramid,sun}!silvlis!mdb
Menlo Park, CA 94025-1053       Telephone:   +1 415 853-6411 / +1 415 969-8328