bogon packets

dieter at titan.nmt.edu dieter at titan.nmt.edu
Sun Dec 4 03:39:30 AEST 1988

Has anyone had experience with lots of

    le0: Received packet with ENP bit in rmd cleared
    le0: Received packet with STP bit in rmd cleared

messages?  If you know of a particular manufacturer's machine that
generates them, great.  If it's symptomatic of some particular con- nector
or some such dying, that'd help too.

Some background:  Our network is partitioned into four parts (at least, as
is relevant to the current problem).  The parts consist of the loop with a
bunch of 3/50s in it, two lengths connected by fiber optic cable, and
everything in the middle.  The bogon packets are only seen by machines
connected to the lower fiber optic section in the map below.  They were
also being seen by the 3/50 on the other fiber section, but swapping our
Delni and our TCL stopped that.  Only the Suns w/ Lance ethernet chips and
the cisco boxes have noticed the packets.

             fiber optic
      3/280       |
 	  \       V    3/50
+----------O-+-- at ---@---^---< cisco terminal server
| bunch      |
+----------O-+    3/260   HP9000   IBM PC  cisco
|         /   \
IBM    3/280   \
PC    gateway   \                     3/50  3/60
                 @--- at ----V--------V---^--V--^---< cisco terminal server
                   ^   uVax II   Ridge   3/50

              fiber optic

Ideas?  Thanks.

[[ These messages were mentioned and discussed in v6n28, v6n40, and v6n50,
but I don't think anyone came up with a good solution to the problem (an
explanation was given in v6n40).  If anyone has any new ideas on this,
please send them in.  --wnl ]]

Dieter Muller
dieter%nmt at relay.cs.net
dieter at jupiter.nmt.edu