Sun-Spots Digest, v6n98

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at RICE.EDU
Thu May 26 03:23:52 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST          Wednesday, 25 May 1988       Volume 6 : Issue 98

Today's Topics:
                Re: curious behaviour of read() on devices
                      Re: A SunView Interrupt Button
             Re: Sun Common Lisp and FPA don't work together
                      Re: 8mm back-up error checking
                       Re: Shared memory references
                        Symbollic Link list in 4.0
                   patches for clock loosing 29/30 days
                          Label your VT100 tool
                                Proxy ARP
                            compiling cmdtool
               Problems with NFS/IP fragmentation on Sun-4?
                       Bad Disk Reads Not Noticed?
         Opinions about ArborText preview versus VorTeX dvitool?
                        Sun manual folder labels?
                              Pictex a hog?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Fri, 13 May 88 20:54:54 CDT
From:    texsun!convex!jthomp at sun.com (Jim "Cookie" Thompson)
Subject: Re: curious behaviour of read() on devices
Reference: v6n82

Mario Wolczko is disturbed by the fact that a read on a raw disk will
return more than requested.  This is, indeed, a feature, and documented as
such in the manual.  To wit:

     In raw I/O counts should be a multiple of 512 bytes (a disk
     sector).  Likewise seek(2) calls should specify a multiple
     of 512 bytes.

(from 'man 4 xy')

Jim Thompson		 		Convex Computer Corporation
(214) 952-0536		 		701 N. Plano Road
"panic: getfs: bad magic"		Richardson, Texas 75081
{uiucdcs,ihnp4,sun,allegra,harvard,killer,usenix}!convex!jthomp