Sleeping Suns & Drawing?

Greg Hiscott gjh at ligo.caltech.edu
Wed Nov 23 14:21:35 AEST 1988

This is a request for information from Sun OS 4.0 users.  There are two
questions.

We have a small network of eight sun 3/50s being served by a 4/260.  If
the 3/50s are idle for a while, 10 minutes or more, subsequent use of the
machine is slow.  For example, a user is typing in some document when
he/she receives a phone call.  Returning to the machine at least 10
minutes later, the user finds that it takes 10-15 seconds just to have the
3/50 echo characters typed in at the console.  "ps ax" and new windows are
really slow.  I have discovered that rebooting the server remedies the
problem for a day or so.  I do not want to discuss my hypothesis, but
would like to hear yours.

The other reason for this post is that some of the other users here have
discovered Mac Draw.  They are demanding an equivalent application on the
Suns. ( 3 & 4 ) Is there anyone using a program which is similar to Mac
Draw running on a Sun?  [[ Check out "Fig" in the sun-spots archives.
--wnl ]]

I am just an ex-MSDOS programmer thrown into a Sun-world.  ( I like UNIX
though!)

Greg Hiscott
gjh at ligo.caltech.edu
Phone:(818)356-2974
USPS:Caltech, 102-33, Pasadena, CA 91125
FAX:(818)304-9834