Sun-Spots Digest, v6n263

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at Rice.edu
Thu Oct 20 02:34:15 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST         Tuesday, 18 October 1988     Volume 6 : Issue 263

Today's Topics:
         Why is comp.sys.sun/sun-spots moderated/digestified (2)
                           Re: Extension cables
                   Re: DEC LANBRIDGE 100/Sun 4 problems
                     Re: Bitnet mangles source files
                      Re: SunOS 4.0 Suntools speedup
                     Re: Word Processors on Sun/Unix
                           Encoding ASCII Files
                      Problem with FPU on SUN 4/110
                         CDC 94181 Drive problem
              Audible appointment notification in calentool?
                    Motorola S-Records on Sun 3/160s?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    28 Sep 88 04:24:19 GMT
From:    casey at cs.ucla.edu
Subject: Why is comp.sys.sun/sun-spots moderated/digestified?

I know that this has been hashed over in the past, but I still have yet to
hear a real reason for why sun-spots is moderated and digestified.

At best, whoever the moderator is is totally flooded with mail to the list
which must suck up an enormous amount of his time.  At worst, the
moderator goes on vacation and we get a big delay seeing anything for a
bit and then he has to deal with an unbelievable backlog when he gets
back.

[[ Just to clarify:  The last time I was out of town was the July 4th
weekend (and that was to attend a wedding).  What usually happens is I get
busy doing the things I'm suppoesed to be doing.  You know...research.
--wnl ]]

Add to that the inconvenience of having to deal with the digests and it
seems to me you have a formula that says this isn't workable.  I don't get
the advantages of whatever my favorite news/mail reader offers in its
current format.  Either that, or I have to unpack the stupid digests and
apply a new session of my reader against that.  And at the volume of
sun-spots this is ridiculous.

Moderation and digestification seems like a fine idea for a low volume
group where you want to maintain a coherent conversation theme, weed out
the irrelevant, etc., but sun-spots is not low volume and the interests of
Sun users are now so diverse that it's difficult to determine what is
irrelevant.

I'd like to have a voting session to decide whether sun-spots should be
converted to an unmoderated, undigestified news group / mailing list.
Probably voting on moderation and digestification should be separate.  For
instance, comp.unix.ultrix is moderated, but undigestified.  Of course
digestified, but unmoderated doesn't make sense.

P.S.  I hope no one takes this as a criticism of the job that William
LeFebvre <phil at rice.edu> has been doing.  On the contrary, I think that
he's been doing a great job.  I just think that the job itself is probably
a lot of work for what I believe has very little benefit.