Sun-Spots Digest, v6n261

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at Rice.edu
Tue Oct 18 06:45:11 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST         Sunday, 16 October 1988      Volume 6 : Issue 261

Today's Topics:
                           Re: text: table full
                     Re: amazing dump speed with 4.0
                     Re: DNI Protocol Error question
                     Re: Nfs mounted /usr/spool/mail
                           SUG Conference 12/88
                    Splus Distributor Telephone Number
                         need C++ for Sun4 OS4.0
               HELP...HP laserjet printing graphics on Unix
        Question about Window display lock broken after time limit
                          GKS - black on white?
                        modems on sun4 with ALM-2?
                       Postscript to Impress filter?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Tue, 11 Oct 88 14:56:58 PDT
From:    esosun!sol!keith at seismo.css.gov (Keith Pilotti)
Subject: Re: text: table full

This is a common problem.  We have all our systems modified with a larger
text table.

The problem is not just lots of processes -- the problem is lots of
*different* code (text) files.  (Text is generally sharable between
processes.)

Sun's algorithm for determining the size of the kernel's text table is
inadequate for many uses of the machine.  As has been mentioned here
before, increasing MAXUSERS is not the best solution as that affects
things which do not need to be changed.

Go into /sys/conf and modify param.c.  The algorithm to change is "ntext".
(We double the default size of the text table and no longer have
problems.) Config and make -- all new kernels will have the increased text
table.

To modify an existing kernel, do the following:

	# adb -w vmunix
	ntext?W 0tDDD		(Where DDD is the decimal size of the new table)
	^D
	# reboot

I recommend you do NOT make the above patch to a running kernel!

Thanks...
+Keith Pilotti
10260 Campus Point Drive, M/S-32, San Diego, CA 92121

(619)546-6657    {sun!suntan,seismo}!esosun!sol!keith
                 Pilotti at UCSD.edu