Sun-Spots Digest, v6n260

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at Rice.edu
Tue Oct 18 03:25:34 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST         Friday, 14 October 1988      Volume 6 : Issue 260

Today's Topics:
           Re: Popping up an independent window in SunView (2)
                             Re: nd question
                   Re:  Changing Sunview default font?
                 Re: Voice Recognition Hardware/Software
                         4.0 version of "ofiles"
                            how to get kermit
                               SUNLINK DDN
                           ftpd under SunOS 4.0
            Sun OS 4.0 and Mt. Xinu NFS compatibility problems
            A question about repartitioning sun disk (OS 4.0)

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Tue, 11 Oct 88 13:24:56 -0400
From:    mesard at bbn.com
Subject: Re: Popping up an independent window in SunView (1)

> I can't just call window_main_loop(), because if the program already
> has called window_main_loop() the notifier will barf with "Invalid
> argument" (whatever that means).

window_set(frame, WIN_SHOW, TRUE, 0);

--
void *Wayne_Mesard();         MESARD at BBN.COM         BBN, Cambridge, MA

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 11 Oct 88 13:37:26 EDT
From:    Chuck Musciano <chuck at trantor.harris-atd.com>
Subject: Re: Popping up an independent window in SunView (2)

You can produce non-blocking windows by creating another frame underneath
your base frame with:

	window_create(base_frame, FRAME, ..., 0);

You can set the WIN_SHOW attribute to control whether the window is
displayed or not.  You MUST return to the notifier for the window (and the
rest of the window system) to become active.  You can attach a
FRAME_DONE_PROC to the window to track its destruction at some future
date.  You can try calling notify_dispatch() by hand in order to get the
window working, but that could be iffy when already within a notify proc.

You can, I believe, track back through the frame heirarchy by repeatedly
getting the WIN_OWNER of a window until this returns NULL.

I believe what you want is a non-blocking popup confirmer, which I believe
is impossible under SunView.

Chuck Musciano
Advanced Technology Department
Harris Corporation