Sun-Spots Digest, v6n247

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at Rice.edu
Tue Oct 4 08:03:44 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST          Sunday, 2 October 1988      Volume 6 : Issue 247

Today's Topics:
                   Re: Force periodic password changes
                   Re: TAAC-1 application accellerator
                    Re: Getting a dead 386i serviced
                 Re: Problem: UUCP and detached processes
                   Re: Need Help with graphics on a Sun
                    Re: cc:Fatal error in ccom: Killed
                     Problems with VME address spaces
                            Booting SunOS 4.0
                        Collected info on Sun 386i
              How to make a device driver awake with Ctrl-C?
                   Follow up question on Bigger Icons?
                      interactive spelling checker?
                           gettimeofday() bug?
                                Coral-66?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Thu, 29 Sep 88 02:45:06 EDT
From:    attcan!utzoo!henry at uunet.UU.NET
Subject: Re: Force periodic password changes

> Does anyone out there have software to force users to change password
> every so often on a SUN?

Are you sure you want to do this?  It is likely to result in much poorer
passwords, especially if it comes as a surprise at login time.  (Grampp
and Morris, in the second Unix BLTJ, say:  "...the most incredibly silly
passwords tend to be found on systems equipped with password aging".)

Our own policy is to *encourage* people to change password every six
months or so -- a simple shell script sends them mail if they haven't
changed in that long -- but we don't force it on them.

	Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
	uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu