Sun-Spots Digest, v6n259

William LeFebvre Sun-Spots-Request at Rice.edu
Mon Oct 17 15:35:17 AEST 1988

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST         Friday, 14 October 1988      Volume 6 : Issue 259

Today's Topics:
           Re: Popping up an independent window in SunView (2)
                   Re: BITNET mangling source files (2)
                               Re: rsh woes
                    Re: Changing Sunview default font
                  Re: Lightweight Processes in SunOS 4.0
               Maxtor XT-4380E Drive, MDB Chassis, Sun 3/60
           /dev/ttya operations on 3/80 server crash SunOS 4.0
                           386i c compiler bug
                       mounting remote tape drives
                         /var/spool/lpd/err files
                 Postscript driver for plain text files?
                              Ada compilers?
                              lint and SPARC
                     opinions on configuration wanted
                 Looking for chuck at trantor.harris-atd.com

Send contributions to:  sun-spots at rice.edu
"archive-server at rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    10 Oct 88 22:24 -0500
From:    Srinivas Eswara <eswara at deervax.concordia.ca>
Subject: Re: Popping up an independent window in SunView (1)

>I want to write a function that pops up a window in SunView.

I have had the same problem for a long time till I discovered that you do
not need another window_loop or window_main_loop. You start a program your
base frame and window _main_loop and later you could call a function that
does window_create. Set up your window with panels or whatever and just
call window_set(popup_window, WIN_SHOW, TRUE, 0);

This works just fine and is non-blocking. I also noticed that with two
window_main_loops, the notifier gives an error message, "Invalid argument"
but does nothing much else, at least as far as I could see.