UUCP and .login (2 Q's)

Steven V. Christensen schriste at uceng.uc.edu
Fri Dec 15 10:17:22 AEST 1989

I have a couple of questions for the net.land. First the easy one: We have
a Sun 3/60 running SunOS 4.0 - Is there some global .login and .cshrc
which get executed before the user's .login and .cshrc? I know each user
can put in a "source blah-blah" to get a system default, but I would like
to have something done automatically.

Now the hard one. I am trying to get UUCP set up. I get the following
error, after making sure the L.sys etc. files correctly have UUCP entries:

Script started on Thu Dec  7 18:17:25 1989
kepler.che.uc.edu - schriste>uux -x99 some_command

** START **
arg - some_command:arg -  some_command
file - D.kepler.X0022
ASSERT ERROR (uux)  pid: 2107  (12/7-18:17) CAN'T OPEN D.kepler.X0022 (0)
kepler.che.uc.edu - schriste>
script done on Thu Dec  7 18:17:40 1989

I get the assert error no matter how uux is executed (like from mail).  I
have a file in /usr/spool/uucp called "D.kepler" and one called
"D.kepler.che.uc.edu", which is what 'hostname' responds is the hostname.
The directories are WIDE OPEN with regard to protection (just in case that
was the problem). Nothing I can do seems to help. Anyone else have similar
problems?

Thank you for your help.

Steven V. Christensen
U.C. College of Eng.