Looking for info from lu6.2 users.

Michael Wendel asuvax!glisten!mike at ncar.ucar.edu
Wed Dec 6 03:19:41 AEST 1989

In article <3409 at brazos.Rice.edu>, tfs!jason at mtxinu.com writes:
 (lu6.2 on sun)
> I am interested in hearing feedback from users.
>
> Does it work.
> What baud rate are you running at.
> How many links are you supporting at the baud rate.
> How much does it load the machine down.
>
> I need an overall through put of 350 to 400 kb/sec.
> Multiple links would be ok.

We have been trying to install a reliable link with Sun's LU6.2 package,
SUNLINK Peer to Peer Release 6.x - the latest. We want to use a package
called XCOM from Spectrum Concepts in NYC.

Its been nothing but problems. The project is already 6 months late and
still being worked on with SUN and Spectrum. Bottom line.

There are SUN problems in Sunlink Peer to Peer and there are Spectrum
problems in the XCOM package. More than my experts tell me should exist,
for such a simple protocol (LU6.2). I will say that once the initial
finger pointing stopped ... SUN has been cooperative in trying to resolve
the problems. We have one big Logistical problem - The IBM Mainframe is in
Tokyo and the SUN 4/280 is in Jersey City. We have done what testing we
can with Spectrum in NYC. I wish I had both systems in one room or one
building, or one city to speed up the iterations of problem
detection/correction.

I am not directly involved in this project any more (not a demotion..) I
never had total responsibilty. My group was responsible for the SUN system
admin and basic technical support. I hired on a communications expert,
since the group responsible for the project did not see fit to do so.

I suggest you investigate thoroughly before putting down any of the BIG
BUCKS for this type of interface. Make sure it works for you first.

Michael L. Wendel     (602) 464-5744                                  /\
General Logistics International, Inc.                               /\\/
1201 S. Alma School Rd., Suite 7550, Mesa, AZ 85202                 \//\
..!asuvax!glisten!mike  or attmail!mwendel                      GLI   \/