stropen: out of streams resource ( Revisited )

Sakari Jalovaara sja at sirius.hut.fi
Sun Jul 23 22:07:04 AEST 1989

> After rebooting the system and experimenting a bit, I find that sunview is
> "consuming" one streams resource every time sunview starts up.

This is a kernel bug in 4.0.1 + YAPT.  Every time /dev/mouse is opened a
stream is reserved and never freed.  There are simple tests to verify
this; try them only if you don't mind crashing your Sun.

If "netstat -m" reports you are running out of 4 and 16 -byte stream data
blocks you may have this bug.  This bug can also give you console messages
like

	vmunix: kbdputcode: can't allocate block for keycode
	last message repeated 10005 times

I tried the original generic 4.0.1 kernel and couldn't reproduce the bug;
it appears to come with YAPT patches.

Apparently "fixed in 4.0.3."  If you can't wait, you might try
uninstalling YAPT's.

Sakari Jalovaara (sja at sirius.hut.fi/uunet!santra!sirius!sja/sja at fingate.bitnet)