Need help compiling Sun SDI

James D. Murray hodge!jdm at uunet.uu.net
Tue Jun 13 09:20:38 AEST 1989

I am running a 386i with SunOS 4.0.1 and I have just aquired a copy of the
SDI game for Sun Windows. Assuming it compiled on the 386i I ran "make
all" and hoped for the best.  The compilation process was clean except for
the files control.c, helpers.c, argv.c, save_game.c, notify.c, input.c,
and control_procs.c.  All of these files had the same problem, the
compiler barfed at the line:

	#include <sunwindow/notify.h>

Lines 205, 206, and 207 of notify.h contain the type definition "fd_set"
which is found in sys/types.h.  The problem was that sys/types.h was not
included before sunwindow/notify.h and the compiler choked on the
undefined fd_set.  I added the line #include <sys/types.h> before the
#include <sunwindow/notify.h> line in each of the files.  All the *.c
files then compiled fine.  However ...

The next part of the makefile 'cat'ed all the source files together, piped
them though 'expand', and then attempted to compile them (for what reason
I do not know).  Make always explodes at this point and returns the
crytogram:

	*** Error Code 23
	make: Fatal error: Command failed for target sourcecode.o'

I compiled the file /tmp/sourcecode.s by hand to see what was going on and
the assembler returned the error messages:

	aline 1 : Warning: cannot field update - '.file' not on the first line
	aline 3 : Illegal mnemonic
	aline 3 : Syntax error

	etc., etc.

What gives?  What need I do to compile this thing (sdi) on my 386i?

	jdm at hodge.cts.com [uunet zardoz]!hodge!jdm

	James D. Murray, Ethnounixologist
	Hodge Computer Research Corporation
	1588 North Batavia Street
	Orange, California 92667  USA

	TEL: (714) 998-7750	Ask for James
	FAX: (714) 921-8038	Wait for the carrier