Sparstation Keyboard Problem

Mike Howard milhow1!how at uunet.uu.net
Mon Nov 13 10:32:44 AEST 1989

Events: received and set up Sparcstation 1 around 10/26/89.  Keyboard died
a couple of days later.  Received new keyboard around 11/2/89.  The new
keyboard died on 11/12/89.

Symptoms: when booting 1. the station does not find keyboard on boot and
spits out message: ``no keyboard.  Using input device ttya''

or 2. Keyboard just dies and system does not respond to pounding on it.

System can be gotten to via eithernet, so I know the box is running.

I presume that this is a known design or manufacturing problem.  Does
anyone know the cause?

Has it been solved?  If so, how do I make sure I am getting correct
replacement hardware which will work ``a reasonable length of time''.

Should I attempt to return the unit and wait 6 months for Sun to get their
act together?

Any help/experience is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike Howard