SLIP via Telebit on 3/50 + 4.0.3

Darrell Long darrell at midgard.ucsc.edu
Sun Nov 19 04:07:54 AEST 1989

We're working on getting SLIP up and running between my colleague's 3/50
(he wants to keep it at home) and his Celerity box.  So far, we've had
success connecting it directly and running it at various speeds.  We have
two problems:

1. We can't get it to recognize any other machine than the one it is
   directly connected to.  By fooling with routes we can go from nothing
   to "network unreachable."

2. When using the Telebit 19.2k modems, we get multi-second ping times.
   This makes no sense, because if we hardwire them even at a low rate
   like 1200 baud, we get much better performance.  There doesn't seem
   to be high packet lossage, so I am at a loss to explain this.

I know several people on this group/mailing list use SLIP, so we'll
appreciate the benfit of your experience.  Please post, and also e-mail
any replies (we often have flakey news) to: darrell at cis.ucsc.edu and
arul at sdsu.edu

Thanks, DL