swap local w/ net disk?

Morris Katz mkatz at sesame.stanford.edu
Mon Nov 6 17:36:07 AEST 1989

In article <2653 at brazos.Rice.edu>, kriso at northstar writes:
>Can anyone tell me if it's feasible to use a local scsi disk as the swap
>disk on a network disk client Sun3/60.

Yes it is feasible; but, Sun refuses to support this configuration which
many of us believe in dearly.  You don't say what version of SunOS you are
running, but I believe that the magic incantation is the same for both 3.X
and 4.X.  In your configuration file you want to "specify swap on ????",
where you fill in a disk partition name like sd0a for the question marks.
This incantaion goes on config line and is documented in the Sun manuals.
As I remember, there may be some problems in certain versions of SunOS if
you don't explicitly specify all of the fields on the config line when
trying to take advantage of the swapping only configuration.