swap local w/ net disk?

Joe Michel-Angelo tekbspa!tss!joe at uunet.uu.net
Mon Nov 20 08:25:51 AEST 1989

In article <2834 at brazos.Rice.edu>, by mkatz at sesame.stanford.edu (Morris Katz):
>>Can anyone tell me if it's feasible to use a local scsi disk as the swap
>>disk on a network disk client Sun3/60.
>
> Yes it is feasible; but, Sun refuses to support this configuration which
> many of us believe in dearly.  You don't say what version of SunOS you are

Trying the kernel config line of:

	config vmunix root on type nfs swap on sd0c

works perfect for any diskless 4.0.3 client with a local scsi. or:

	config vmunix root on nd swap on sd0c

works fine for any diskless 3.X client with a local scsi.

just be sure that sd0 has a valid drive lable and you are in business.
you should note that the internal scsi drive on a sparc is acutally slower
then an nfs file system providing network performance is acceptable....