X Windows

jim frost madd at world.std.com
Thu Nov 9 03:13:28 AEST 1989

BEGEMAN%OPUS%MCOIARC.BITNET at cornellc.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>Does anyone have a short c program that will display a grayscale image in
>X windows?  I just need some example code to get started on being able to
>display short movie loops of images in X.

Sure, I have a program called xloadimage which can load a variety of image
types and display them.  One of the image types is the Faces Project image
type, which is a 8-bit greyscale image.  It shouldn't take a lot of work
to convert that to handle any greyscale.

Xloadimage is not designed for 'movie' type displays, but it would be
trivial to modify it to send a bunch of pixmaps and rotate through them;
you ought to get very good performance although you'll want a LOT of
memory if the images are large or you have very many of them.

Xloadimage isn't particularly short, mostly because it has a lot of
options and can load multiple image types.  The code to set up, send, and
display an image is only a few hundred lines of code, though.

Interested?  I can email to anyone who is but I'm planning to have
xloadimage posted to comp.sources.x in the near future so if you don't
have a great need, please wait for that.

While I'm doing image types, does anyone know what the format is for
24-bit Sun rasterfiles?  I have to assume that it doesn't have a 16mb
colormap.  Mostly I just need any special header indicators (eg is
ras_maptype == RMT_RAW?) and the pixel format.  If there is a greyscale
format, I'd like that too.

jim frost
software tool & die     "The World" Public Access Unix for the '90s
madd at std.com            +1 617-739-WRLD  24hrs {3,12,24}00bps