Wren V 766MB ESDI drive

Michael Wendel asuvax!glisten!mike at ncar.ucar.edu
Thu Nov 2 02:53:14 AEST 1989

In article <2489 at brazos.Rice.edu>, ari at kolmogorov.physics.uiuc.edu (Aritomo Shinozaki) writes:
> I have heard that the CDC Wren V 766MB ESDI drive has variable numbers of
> sectors depending on the track.  I have also heard that the SUN OS driver
> does not support variable numbers of sectors.  I got this information
> several months ago.  Now we are going to upgrade our internal disk
> hopefully with this drive.

In looking to upgrade my Sun 386i with a second disk, I found out that SUN
uses the Wren IV drives. They also have a variable number of sectors per
track. In my case, I purchased the upgrade from a local distributor at a
fraction of the cost from Sun. However the drive I used was a SCSI
interface. Check /etc/format.dat to see what drives are supported. You may
find a Wren entry for a similar drive.