WingZ doesn't work well, even under SunView

Evan G. Bauman bauman at shell.com
Sat Dec 8 11:52:00 AEST 1990

>The user interface is klunky in a number of other ways.  Perhaps this is a
>state of the art spreadsheet, but in that case I think we need some
>evolution in spreadsheet technology.  Perhaps it is just a hangover from
>the DOS/Mac world where it is assumed that if anything gets done it is
>because the user pushed a key or a mouse button.  But automation of
>commonly done tasks is one reason we're all on Unix, and WingZ just
>doesn't have that attitude.

The consensus around here is that Wingz is one of the most poorly
programmed pieces of commercial software we've ever seen for Suns.  It
updates the screen too many times for simple mouse movements.  And on some
computers, these screen updates take up to 20 seconds! (Try running Wingz
on a color 386i-20).  I have a Sparc 1+GX and even I get tired of waiting
for Wingz screen updates.

It also crashes periodically under sunview.  There aren't enough keyboard
shortcuts for mouse commands.  I find that using Wingz for an afternoon
can make my mouse hand cramp up.  I never had this happen with other
software.

I hope the next version is a better product.

	Evan G. Bauman - Combustion/Reaction Engineering
	Shell Development Company - Westhollow Research Center
	PO Box 1380; Houston, TX 77251-1380
	bauman at shell.com     "The owls are not what they seem"