Sun's C++

Kim Polese polese at eng.sun.com
Tue Jul 24 11:42:20 AEST 1990

A message posted on July 17 on the comp.sys.sun newslist about Sun C++
contained incorrect information and may have resulted in some confusion.
Please allow me to clarify some issues:

>> From: balen at camscan.uucp (henry Balen)
>> Subject: Sun's C++

>>  Our local Sun Sales rep says that Sun are going to stick at version 2.0
>>  and that there will not be *any* upgrades.  (What benifits does
>>  maintenance on C++ give if there is no plan for upgrades?)

This is completely untrue.  The current, released version of Sun C++ is
2.0.  We are planning a release of Sun C++ on OS 4.1 in the near future.

Sun is strongly committed to object-oriented technology, and Sun C++ is an
important component of our OOP solution.  Sun is fully committed to Sun
C++ as a product, and we will continue to maintain and enhance this
product.  Sun C++ is an integral part of the Sun SPARCompilers software
development solution.

If you have the need to know more about Sun C++ futures, and are willing
to set up a meeting to hear about Sun's plans under non-disclosure
arrangement, you may contact your sales representative about visiting Sun
under non-disclosure agreement.

>>  We were also told, a couple of months ago, that the price of C++ will
>>  go up when the source code browser was available. Now we are told that the
>>  price has gone up and there will *not* be a source code browser available.

Rest assured that there will be no change in price of Sun C++ in the next
release.  Also, the Sun SourceBrowser will definitely be available with
the next release of Sun C++.

>> This seems to imply that Sun is not taking support of C++ seriously. (Are
>> they like this for other unbundled languages?)

Sun is taking support of C++ extremely seriously, as with our complete
unbundled languages product line. Sun's committment to Sun C++ is at the
basis of our committment to object-oriented technology.  You were
unfortunately given wrong information which led to the above confusion.

If you have any further questions about Sun C++, please contact me.

Kim Polese
C++ Product Manager
Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Mountain View, CA