Vax to Sun

Karen Birkelbach karen at pemrac.space.swri.edu
Thu Mar 8 04:48:42 AEST 1990

>We are buying a Vax and (for various reasons) want to run VMS on it.  We
>also would like to link the Vax to our local area network of Suns running
>NFS.  We would like to be able to log onto the Vax from the Suns and
>transfer files back and forth.

In our LAN, we have Suns, a Convex, and a couple of Vaxes (or Vaxen if you
follow DEC's terminology :-).  Each Vax is running a different brand of
smtp software.  One is running Excelan's EXOS and the other one is running
Process Software, Inc. Networking Software for VMS.  The Excelan is more
expensive than Process and seems to be more stable, but when trying to do
network programming on VMS, I prefer using Process because they've written
the calls to look like Unix networking calls where EXOS uses VMS $qio (or
qio$, you can see how much I use it) system calls.  There's also a cheap
package from Carnegie-Mellon University (~$150).  It works, but I don't
know how well.

Karen Birkelach              Instrumentation and Space Research Division
karen at pemrac.space.swri.edu                 Southwest Research Institute
...convex!pemrac!karen                                  6220 Culebra Rd.
swri::karen (SPAN)              (o)(o)        San Antonio, TX 78228-0510