SunView keyboard focus

Dean Grover grover at argon.hac.com
Sat Mar 10 10:33:54 AEST 1990

I have a few questions about keyboard focus.  I have 2 windows, each in a
separate process, and they are both canvases.  What I want to have is for
window A to receive the keyboard events when the mouse is in window B.  I
don't want to grab all the input, however.

I tried using an interposer in window B which called
"window_refuse_kbd_focus" when a KBD_REQUEST event was received, but I
couldn't get that event.

I also tried to  make window A the "WIN_INPUT_DESIGNEE" of window B, and I
couldn't get that to work either.

Are either of these methods the correct way to accomplish what I want ?
If so, any hints about the right way to do things will be apprecaited
(things like what input masks to use...etc).  If not, is there an easy way
to do it ?

The sunview manual seems a little fuzzy about how to set the keyboard
focus from a program.  If it matters, I am running SunOS 4.0.3 on a Sun
4/370.

Thanks in advance,
Dean Grover
Hughes Aircraft Co.