SS1 component failure

bnrgate!bnr.ca!carterm at uunet.uu.net bnrgate!bnr.ca!carterm at uunet.uu.net
Sat Mar 24 05:44:49 AEST 1990

In article <5932 at brazos.Rice.edu> dan_butzer at cis.ohio-state.edu (Dan Butzer) writes:
>Has anyone observed network related problems with the SS1.  From the
>limited number of machines I have dealt with I have seem Ethernet problems
>on perhaps half of them.  Problems range from abnormally high netstat
>error counts (These are absolutely clean and within spec Ethernets.  We
>have the equipment to prove it.)  to machines that have tremendous
>difficulty booting diskless.

I believe that initial releases of the SS1 ethernet interface had problems
as you describe.  A fairly recent CPU board rev. fixes these problems (I
can't remember the rev. number, unfortunately).  We encountered such
problems with twisted pair ethernet, and they were fixed with this new
rev.

Mike Carter           "My opinions are entirely my own"
carterm at bnr.ca