tape-to-tape copy on Sparc1?

Tibor S Mikes smikes at pjspot.att.com
Fri Mar 23 06:11:45 AEST 1990

If one were to put two tape units on a Sun Sparcstation 1, would it be
possible to copy tapes, one to the other either by using the dd command,
or is there some other method necessary?

The input tape has multiple files on it, some of them are in tar format,
possibly with different blocking factors, and other files may not be in
tar format.  The objective is to duplicate the input tape by producing an
identical output.  Can anyone help me on this?

Also, when I do a backup using tar or cpio I am having trouble making the
backup go to multiple tapes.  Did I miss something in the docs on these
backup methods that tells me how to force the tape to go to multiple
reels, or is there another method that does this without explicit
directives?

Thanks, in advance.
Steve

e-mail:	{att!}pjspot!smikes	->	Phone: (201) 615-4718