HELP (PLEASE) ld.so: map heap error (22) for /dev/zero ??????

Dan Mick uunet!charyb!dan at uunet.uu.net
Wed Mar 14 06:20:16 AEST 1990

In article <5714 at brazos.Rice.edu> pekak at erilin.nokia.se (Pekka Akselin) writes:

|I have a diskless Sun 3/50 which I have tried to boot from a server.  All goes
|well except for one thing: I get an error message which says
|
|     ld.so: map heap error (22) for /dev/zero

I'd be willing to bet something untoward has happened to /dev/zero; it's
supposed to be a magical character device that returns as many zeroes as
the reader desires, and I'll bet it's gotten erased and replaced with a
normal file, or just plain erased...

ld.so uses /dev/zero to clear its own bss (by mapping /dev/zero to the
proper pages).  The lack of any immediate mention in the manuals is
reprehensible.