file server backups

M.J.C. WHITTON at bnr.ca
Tue May 1 23:34:00 AEST 1990

To users of large capacity (more than 3 GB) servers,

We are considering the purchase of a SUN 4/490 with 8 GB of disk to be a
file server to around 40 Sparcstations.  This has sparked (pardon the pun)
a debate here about how to back up servers with large amounts of disk
storage (over 3 GB disk).  Some people say that using multiple 8mm Exabyte
drives is the right way to run backups, others say that this is impossible
or will take too long.  What is your experience?  What method do you use
and how long does it take to back up your server?  I would sincerely
appreciate an e-mail response.  I will also summarize to the net if
required.

Mark Whitton,  Bell Northern Research, Ottawa, Ontario K1Y 4H7, CANADA
Dept 5S80  VLSI Methods and Technology
613-763-2137
whitton at bnr.ca