Switching from thin to thick Ethernet on a Sun 3/50

Mike Miller mikem at se-sd.sandiego.ncr.com
Thu Sep 13 04:03:06 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug13.011115.5713 at rice.edu> matt at antioch.acns.nwu.edu (Matthew Larson) writes:
>We have a Sun 3/50 that was running happily using thin ethernet.  Now we
>would like to run it with thick ethernet.  We plugged in the drop cable
>and -- nothing.  For the record, it is running SunOS 4.1.
>Rumor has it that there is a jumper change required to effect this change.

The ethernet interface is switchable between thin and thick via a dip on
the mother board.  you will need to open the cpu box (4 allen screws) and
pull the mother board.  The dip should be located near your ethernet
connectors.  It could also be located in a different area as a set of
jumpers.  I'd just call Sun if I couldnt find it, they'll tell you where.
Anyway, the dip or jumper settings are in the Hardware Installation
manuals. Or ask local Sun.