Advice sought on r/w optical jukeboxes

pml4791 at usl.edu pml4791 at usl.edu
Thu Feb 14 09:03:00 AEST 1991

I am about to purchase a erasable optical disk system to connect to a Sun
Sparcstation 1. The device will be used for migration of old files off of
magnetic disks and storage of large seldomly accessed bits (source code
distributions, graphics files). I am sure I will think of more uses after
I have it.

I have about $10k to spend. I have found that I can afford a 10 disk
jukebox system from Pinnacle Micro for this amount. I could also obviously
afford a dual drive system and a bunch of media.  I have heard some horror
stories about Pinnacle and also a couple of "they're getting better"
stories. There is another company called InTrol which seems to sell the
same type of product although I have yet to speak with them.

If anyone has any experience with these deviced (any brand, good or bad)
and wouldn't mind a little e-mail or perhaps a phone call I would be very
appreciative.

I will post a summary when I gather all the info. Thanks.

patrick
pml at cacs.usl.edu