Running X on a Sparcstation-2/GS - Help

laukee at canon.co.uk laukee at canon.co.uk
Thu Jan 10 20:42:19 AEST 1991

scott at csis.dit.csiro.au (Scott Milton) writes:
>We have taken delivery of a Sparcstation-2 with a GS accelerator card, and
>no way to run X windows on it. Presumably OpenWindows-3 will support this
>card, but OpenWindows-2 does not. We have servers which will support the
>cg8 board, and I assumed we could use these, but this one wants to be
>cg12.

Running OpenWindows was a prime concern when we asked Sun about the GS/GT
We were led to believe that you could take the framebuffer and section it
to let it emulate older (standard?) colour framebuffers.  Does your cg12
support the FBIOSATTR and FBIOGATTR ioctl() requests?  This is the way
that, e.g., the cgfour emulates a bwtwo on its overlay.  Check very hard
that you really can't emulate another framebuffer before you give up on
X/OW2.