sendmail shock. Bibliography?

Jonathan I. Kamens jik at athena.mit.edu
Thu Apr 4 06:25:52 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr2.180215.1356 at sci34hub.sci.com>, gary at sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston) writes:
|> In article <1991Apr1.173622.12281 at appmag.com> pa at appmag.com (Pierre Asselin) writes:
|> >The title pretty much says it.  I'm a new Unix sysadmin  and  I'm
|> >going  to have to hack sendmail.cf real soon now.  I can read man
|> >pages, but in this case I need a book to  get  started.
|>
|> Forget it. Unless you grew up with sendmail, you'll probably never
|> figure it out.

  Well, I've only been using it for a couple years on and off, and I think I
understand it pretty thoroughly, enough that I am able to maintain my own
config file on my workstation.

  The only documentation I've ever seen is the stuff in
/usr/doc/smm/07.sendmailop.  The sendmail man page and ease were also helpful.
And I've looked at a lot of sendmail.cf files.  I've also seen a few heavily
commented sendmail.cf files.

  I don't even know if there *are* any books about sendmail.  Perhaps if there
were one, sendmail would become more accepted, and that's the last thing we
want to happen :-).

|> Get smail3 off uunet, and convert to that. Understandable, works well,
|> and has readable config files.

  I've never used this, so I don't know if it's easier to configure than
sendmail, or as powerful, or whatever.  I guess if it does the job, though,
it's as good a tool as sendmail or any other.  Perhaps better.  But don't
dismiss sendmail out-of-hand.

  Wasn't the FSF working on a mailer at one point?  Whatever happened with
that?  Anybody know?

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace