Where do I get admin utilities? + crypt

Jonathan I. Kamens jik at athena.mit.edu
Tue Apr 9 07:39:45 AEST 1991

In article <1226 at teslab.lab.OZ>, andrew at teslab.lab.OZ (Andrew Phillips) writes:
|> The following five programs seemed to be very useful:
|>
|> perl
|> expect
|> ofiles
|> top
|> cops
|>
|> I got perl and cops from comp.unix.* but I don't remember having seen
|> the others there.  I was wondering where I can get them.

  Expect is in /pub/expect.shar.Z on ftp.uu.net.  You also need tcl, which is
in /pub/tcl.tar.Z on the same machine.

  They're also archived on several sites in Australia, including
ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz.au (/pub/expect.shar.Z, /pub/tcl.tar.Z), brolga.cc.uq.oz.au
(/pub/expect/expect.shar.Z, /pub/expect/tcl.tar.Z),
mungarra.asis.unimelb.edu.au (/pub/expect/expect.tar.Z),

  Ofiles is, indeed, in the comp.sources.unix archives, in volume 18 under
ofiles.new.  It's also accessible on the following Australia archive sites,
aside from comp.sources.unix achive sites: csc2.anu.edu.au
(/pub/src/applications/ofiles.tar.Z), sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au
(/pub/sun-sources/ofiles.shar).

  Top can be found on the following archive sites in Australia:
sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au (/pub/top.tar.Z), monu1.cc.monash.edu.au
(/pub/top.tar.Z).

  For more information, you can do what I did to find out all of this --
telnet to quiche.cs.mcgill.ca and log in as "archie" with no password; type
"help" at that point for more information.  If you don't have telnet access to
North America, you can send mail to "archie at quiche.cs.mcgill.ca" to contact
archie -- send a message with "help" in the body for more information.

|> Also we don't have crypt, presumably because we have a non-U.S.
|> version of UNIX.

  I was under the impression that non-US sites have the crypt(3) library
function but not the crypt(1) program, and the former is what you need.  Isn't
that correct?  What vendor's Unix are you running, and what version?

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace