Risc System/6000

Sam Drake drake at sd2.almaden.ibm.com
Sun Feb 25 20:09:59 AEST 1990

In article <1162 at gort.cs.utexas.edu> jason at cs.utexas.edu (Jason Martin Levitt) writes:
>:-( :-( :-( ;-)  You're support and trust of IBM's claims is encouraging.
>But, I'm interested in some approximate numbers, not unsubstantiated
>opinions. How much space does AIX 3.1 require? X/Motif? What is the
>the recommended amount of swap space?

My earlier reassurances that 120MB systems worked WERE substantiated.
Merriam gives "to establish by competent evidence" as a definition for
"substantiated".  I have personally run a 320 with 120MB of disk space in use
(using pre-release software).  It would be unfair for me to comment
on exact sizes of things (since I've only seen pre-release code, any more exact
sizes I might give you would be somewhat off).  And clearly any "recommended
amount of swap space" would depend highly on the applications a given machine
was running.  But rest assured that first-hand evidence shows that a 320
with 120MB of DASD is a bootable, operable, configuration.

Sam Drake / IBM Almaden Research Center
Internet:  drake at ibm.com            BITNET:  DRAKE at ALMADEN
Usenet:    ...!uunet!ibmarc!drake   Phone:   (408) 927-1861