Quotas do they exist ?

Jerry Heyman jerry at heyman.austin.ibm.com
Tue Nov 27 06:29:27 AEST 1990

In article <carl.659576268 at probitas> carl at probitas.cs.utas.edu.au (Carl Lewis) writes:

[... discussion of whether or not quota command exists where I asked for
     examples of where this was being returned ...]

>The open, openx, creat, rename, link, mkdir, symlink, mknod, mkfifo
>routines all come up under an info search for quota. All the ones I've
>looked at return EDQUOT on exceeding quota !!!.  Since you've
>confirmed our suspicions that quotas do not exist it would be
>interesting to find out where the EDQUOT hangover is from :-)

Since I'm unfamiliar with the interanlas of any of the subroutines that you
mention, I looked up 'mkdir' in info.  While its true that EDQUOT can be an
error from that call, you will see that it is returned for one of two reasons:
the first would be for exceeding disk quota (which AIX v3.1 does not support);
the second is if i-nodes become exhausted for a particular filesystem.

The only other possible reason would be for compatability for code ported from
BSD that expects that as a possible return.

>Replying with a post, 'cos as lots of people have noted, the mail still bounces!

I know, and we're slowly trying to resolve that. :-)

jerry
Jerry Heyman                     IBM T-R: jerry at heyman.austin.ibm.com
AWD Tools Development            VNET   : HEYMAN at AUSVMQ
AWD Austin                       T/L    : 793-3962
*** All opinions expressed are exactly that - my opinions and NOT IBM's