User Directories

Haiyan Wang wangh at beasley.CS.ORST.EDU
Sat Apr 27 16:50:16 AEST 1991

In article <709 at aos.brl.mil> somsky at brl.mil (William R. Somsky) writes:
>With the '/usr' partition sucking up almost the entire hard-drive on
>installation, is there really any good reason for putting users on a
>seperate '/u' partiton?  I've heard suggestions of soft-linking '/u' or
>'/u/<username>' to directories on '/usr', but can anyone think of a
>reason that I wouldn't want to just put all users DIRECTLY on the
>'/usr' partition, say, in something like '/usr/u', and modify
>'/etc/passwd' to match?  (Is it perhaps that SMIT insists on putting
>users in'/u'?)
>
>Any comments on this matter?
>
>							W R Somsky

Well. /usr contains a lot of system stuff and it need room for grow. At
least need some space for all sort of spool space. If you put the user home
directory inside /usr, then there will be some good chance /usr get filled
up by user files and you don't have any spool space. Well, it will be
another story if you put /usr/spool in a partition of its own.

By the way, I never understood why the /usr partition is sooooooooo big.
I asked the so called 'SE' to make /usr just big enough to hold the system
stuff and we can always increase it later on. But the 'SE' seems never
understood my request at all. (Is it typical for IBM?). He made a 400M
/usr out of a 600M disk. Leave us with a ~60M /u and about 150M empty in
/usr. I was reall upset with this dummy SE.

Guangliang He
ghe at physics.orst.edu