User Directories

Michael Stefanik mike at bria.UUCP
Sun Apr 28 07:08:27 AEST 1991

In an article, wangh at beasley.CS.ORST.EDU (Haiyan Wang) writes:
|Well. /usr contains a lot of system stuff and it need room for grow. At
|least need some space for all sort of spool space. If you put the user home
|directory inside /usr, then there will be some good chance /usr get filled
|up by user files and you don't have any spool space. Well, it will be
|another story if you put /usr/spool in a partition of its own.

Acutally, the /usr filesystem does not need to be *that* large.  When
IBM ships us preloaded systems, the lpp's are in /usr, thus the reason
that it is so large.  I simply backup /usr, remove it, and recreate it
with crfs.

|By the way, I never understood why the /usr partition is sooooooooo big.
|I asked the so called 'SE' to make /usr just big enough to hold the system
|stuff and we can always increase it later on. But the 'SE' seems never
|understood my request at all. (Is it typical for IBM?). He made a 400M
|/usr out of a 600M disk. Leave us with a ~60M /u and about 150M empty in
|/usr. I was reall upset with this dummy SE.

Again, simply backup, delete, and recreate the /usr filesystem; not including
the backup, it's 10 minutes worth of work.  Not worth complaining about, IMHO.
--
Michael Stefanik, MGI Inc, Los Angeles | Opinions stated are never realistic
Title of the week: Systems Engineer    | UUCP: ...!uunet!bria!mike