Access to RS6000 Info Explorer with NCSA telnet for Dos

Dan Mandell mandell at mozart.helios.nd.edu
Wed Feb 13 12:57:22 AEST 1991

Problem:  Users wanting to access Info Explorer on an RS600
from Dos systems using NCSA Telnet v. 2.3.  This Telnet seems to
work better than an Ibm version but for one small difficulty.  Info
Explorer places certain fields in reverse video (often
these fields are also underlined).  We have not found a configuration of
Telnet that can display a field with underline and reverse attributes
simultaneously.  This may actually be a limitation of Vt100 emulation,
but I don't think NCSA Telnet offers VT20 so our problem remains.

As the user TABS from field to field, the selected field is not reversed,
so the user loses track of his position, and has difficulty selecting
the next screen.  This seems to happen despite all efforts to define colors for
foreground, background, blink, reverse and underline fields in NCSA.

Has anyone got NCSA Telnet to work with RS/6000 Info Explorer?

Dan Mandell (mandell at bach.helios.nd.edu)
Saint Mary's College, Computer Services
Notre Dame, Indiana 46556  -  Phone: (219) 284-4610