Modems on the RS6000

Kevin P. Kleinfelter kevin at msa3b.UUCP
Wed Feb 6 00:06:48 AEST 1991

robin at batcomp.austin.ibm.com (Robin D. Wilson) writes:

>In article <1513 at msa3b.UUCP> kevin at msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) writes:
>>geoff at edm.uucp (Geoff Coleman) writes:
>>>	Does anyone out there have modems working succesfully on an RS/6000
>>>using CTS/RTS flow control. We have three telebits on our system which run
>Just a wild guess... But do you attempt to set RTS/CTS on from the command
>line,... before carrier is up?  If so, it won't work...  You either need a
>carrier signal, or you need the "clocal" bit set from the default terminal
>settings.  (Which will require that the port has been enabled, and then had
>carrier up to get the "getty" process to set the attributes - kind of a
>catch22 - you can't set clocal until carrier is up, but clocal is needed to
>tell the machine to ignore carrier.)

>The solution Kevin K... (sorry Kevin, but I couldn't remember how to spell
>your last name) from Dun & Bradstreet provided (to do an "stty add rts" in
>the /etc/profile) will work quite well for dial-in lines (because carrier
>will be up when you dial-in) but will not help for dial-out lines.  The only
>way to set dial-out lines (for sure) is to set carrier high on you modem
>first, then do an "stty add rts" then do your dialing-out.

An improvement to AIX's uucp would be to add something similar to what
happens with uucp on AT&T SYS V R3.2.1:

   \M in a chat script means "set clocal"
   \m in a chat script means "clear clocal"

Thus you get a chat script
      ""  \MAT  "OK\r" "ATDT5551212" "CONNECT" "\m"

meaning
   expect nothing
   set clocal and send AT
   expect OK
   send ATDT5551212
   expect CONNECT
   clear clocal

As I mentioned above, this appears in SYSV R3.2.1, but we'll have to wait
to see if AIX will add it.
--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Dun and Bradstreet Software, Inc (404) 239-2347
{emory,gatech}!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

Look closely at the return address.  It is nanovx and NOT nanovAx.