Modems on the RS6000

Robin D. Wilson robin at batcomp.austin.ibm.com
Sat Feb 2 10:25:26 AEST 1991

In article <1513 at msa3b.UUCP> kevin at msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) writes:
>geoff at edm.uucp (Geoff Coleman) writes:
>>	Does anyone out there have modems working succesfully on an RS/6000
>>using CTS/RTS flow control. We have three telebits on our system which run
>>uucp at the order of 1200 bytes/second. When we cu out to other machines and
>>run as terminals we have terrible data losses. Running a forms interface
>>becomes very interesting.

Just a wild guess... But do you attempt to set RTS/CTS on from the command
line,... before carrier is up?  If so, it won't work...  You either need a
carrier signal, or you need the "clocal" bit set from the default terminal
settings.  (Which will require that the port has been enabled, and then had
carrier up to get the "getty" process to set the attributes - kind of a
catch22 - you can't set clocal until carrier is up, but clocal is needed to
tell the machine to ignore carrier.)

The solution Kevin K... (sorry Kevin, but I couldn't remember how to spell
your last name) from Dun & Bradstreet provided (to do an "stty add rts" in
the /etc/profile) will work quite well for dial-in lines (because carrier
will be up when you dial-in) but will not help for dial-out lines.  The only
way to set dial-out lines (for sure) is to set carrier high on you modem
first, then do an "stty add rts" then do your dialing-out.

|The views expressed herein, are the sole responsibility of the typist at hand|
|UUCP:     robin%aixserv at uunet.uu.net                                         |
|USNail:   701 Canyon Bend Dr.                                                |
|          Pflugerville, TX  78660                                            |
|          Home: (512)251-6889      Work: (512)823-3015                       |