Deinstalling lpps

Ed Ravin eravin at panix.uucp
Sat Jun 15 04:21:57 AEST 1991

In article <BFLS.91Jun14095205 at cain.anu.edu.au> bfls at cain.anu.edu.au
(Barbara La Scala) writes:

>>   Is there any method of de-installing lpps?

>I asked my SE the same question a while back.  The answer I was given was
>"No there isn't any way of removing lpps because people don't want to remove
>packages, only install them".  I sincerely hope this isn't true but I suspect
>it might be.

It's not true at all.  There's plenty of good reasons why one would want to
un-install a product.  Maybe you don't like the software and want your disk
space back.  Maybe you've installed the product on another server and you
want your disk space back.  Maybe you've blown the installation and you
want to try it again but you need your disk space back to re-install.  Maybe
you installed the product by accident and you need your disk space back.

Hmmm...  there's a theme here that keeps recurring.  It sure would be nice
to have some disk space back, especially the disk space currently devoted
to IBM-Speak like "The option you have selected is not available" instead of
the good old Unix-like "bad command".

One of the neat things the AT&T Unix PC/3B1 provided was a de-installation
procedure for every installed product.  The developer's manual specified
that the "Remove" script should remove all files associated with the package,
except for user-created files like profiles or scripts.  And removing files
wasn't the whole job -- there might be device drivers to unload, changes to
system configuration files to undo, bootup scripts to unpatch.

Although the Unix PC had other things wrong with it, their Unix administration
stuff (called User Agent) had a friendly interface that was a hell of a lot
better than SMIT.  Maybe IBM should license some of AT&T's stale Unix admin
software -- it would certainly be an improvement for AIX.  Now what's the
form I should file for this to happen, a DCR? :-P

--
Ed Ravin            | I'm sorry, sir, but POSTAL REGULATIONS don't allow
eravin at panix.com    | PLASTIC tape over PAPER tape and NYLON cord on an