How do I install a modem on a Risc-6000 (AIX3.1.3003)?

Tim Fredrick fredrick at acd.acd.ucar.edu
Tue Mar 12 03:34:12 AEST 1991

There was some discussion about problems with modems a while ago but I
missed out getting copies of what was said.  I want to
set up a fairly generic Hayes compatible modem to dial out with on my
IBM Risc-System 6000/530.  On the Pyramid, the same modem uses RS232 pins
2,3,7,8, and 20.  The same configuration on the 6000 doesn't work for us.
Using an RS232 tester, I see the lights on the AIX end for TD, RTS, and DTR.
On the modem side, nothing.

Can someone who has successfully set up a modem tell me what he did as far
as wiring, configuring tty1 in smit, etc.?  We're using the 8-port serial
unit to connect to.  Thanks in advance.  --Tim